Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Kevin Moore - Cartoonist Survey #22

Kevin Moore is a cartoonist and a librarian who lives in Portland, Oregon. He is the creator of the comic series, Wanderlost, http://wanderlostcomics.com/, whose main characters are, Sheldon an adventure seeking little pig and his friend Chloe. I really enjoy reading Kevin's comments under each week's page. You never know what you will find there. December 2nd's posting has a really great Zappa video from 1968... great if you like Zappa (like I do).

He is also the creator of the political cartoon, In Contempt, which appears every Tuesday and Thursday here; http://incontemptcomics.com/. Stop by his main site at http://mooretoons.com and look around.

What is your favorite pen to use?
It depends. I'm a tool slut. I use a LAMY fountain pen with a disposable cartridge for most of my stuff; a Pentel brush pen; a Windsor-Newton Series 7 no. 2 sable brush; and a Hunt 102 nib.

Do you draw in pencil first and if so do you use a standard pencil or a mechanical one?
I use a mechanical pencil with non-photo blue lead. Saves time and ink on erasing.

Do you do your coloring by hand or on the computer?
PhotoShop all the way.

What type of paper do you use?
100 lb Bristol. Usually Strathmore, but any Bristol cardstock that will feed through a printer will do.

What thing(s) do you hate to draw?
Straight lines.

Do you buy your supplies from big chain art store catalogues/websites or a local one that you physically go to?
Local ones. I love to browse the tools and fantasize. Plus I need to test brushes and markers out.

Are there any rituals that you do before starting to draw?
I check the e-mail, twitter and facebook. I find a podcast on iTunes or get some Coltrane or Zappa going, and then start to draw. Oh, and coffee is a must.

Do you listen to music while you draw and if so what genre?
Mostly talk radio of the NPR variety, Democracy Now, or a podcast. Or, as noted above, jazz.

Did you read comics as a kid and if so what was your favorite?
I read 70s horror comics as a little kid, and collections of Doonesbury and Bloom County as a teenager. When I was 14, I had a Howard the Duck fixation.

What is or was your favorite comic strip?
Bloom County -- until Calvin & Hobbes came along and blew everyone out of the water.

What was your favorite book as a child and do you still own a copy of it?
Alice in Wonderland. I still have it. The drawings are fantastic and the story is just, well, crazy, surreal, and brilliant.

Did you have any formal art training and if so where did you receive it?
As a teen I took several classes at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery. After that I am mostly self-taught.

Do you feel that the Internet is a blessing or a curse?
Depends on the day and my intake of coffee. Mostly a blessing.

Did either of your parents draw?
Yes, my mom paints nicely.

Who in your life is/was the most supportive of your art?
My mom when I was a kid. My wife as an adult.

Do you keep a sketchbook?
Yes, but I don't use it as much as I used to.

Have you ever taught cartooning/drawing and if so did you enjoy the experience?
No, but I have been thinking about it for my daughter's art school.

Do you feel that talent or passion is more important in drawing?
Passion. Drawing is a skill that can be learned. Not everyone will be brilliant at it, but everyone can be good at it.

Do you collect anything and if so what?
Guitars. I have two, and a third on the way. It's an expensive hobby.

If you were an animated cartoon character who do you think you would be?
Kyle on South Park. I have known way too many Cartmans.

Are you a righty or lefty?
Righty.

If you weren't an artist what would you want to do for work?
A musician.

In one or two sentences describe your drawing area.
It's a tasteful cubicle I rent from an Internet technology company. It has a flat surface to draw on, an Internet connection and power outlets.

Do you play any musical instruments?
Funny you should ask. :-) Yes, guitar.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone who wants to pursue drawing as a career what would it be?
Learn how to promote yourself. That is a skill I wish I had learned long ago. You won't get work if people don't know who you are; same goes for building an audience for your personal projects.

Who is your favorite artist?
Currently - Stephen Brodner, political illustrator for The New Yorker, The Nation and other publications. Dead-on vicious caricatures with a truly expressive line and a lively use of water color. I am always in awe of his stuff.

Thank you very much Kevin.

The next post will feature answers from Chris Ayers, illustrator/cartoonist and creator of the Daily Zoo books.

1 comment:

Kevin Moore said...

Thanks for the interview, David. I comment to correct my own error: my brush pen was made by Pentel, not Pilot. I get them confused. Sorry! For anyone interested, here's a link: http://www.stationeryart.com/pentel-gfkp-refillable-pocket-kanji-fude-brush-refill-p-52.html