Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Another Inspired By Danny Gregory

The Farmer's Almanac has predicted that we will have a colder than normal winter here in New England this year. The above picture was taken in my back yard two winters ago, when we lucked out with a mild one. I took the picture on January 5, 2007 at four o'clock in the afternoon, if you can believe it. That's the actual plant that I taped into my sketchbook ten days later when it wilted. I had just finished up Danny Gregory's Creative License, The: Giving Yourself Permission to Be The Artist You Truly Are and was itching to get started. This was done in the method that he suggests in his book, just grab some paper and a pen and draw what's around you. Don't draw it out in pencil first and give yourself the luxury of removing the mistakes. The mistakes are what allow you to learn to draw.

I did this with Faber Castell pen and my Windsor Newton Pocket watercolor set.

2 comments:

MaryO said...

Nice work, David! I like the spontaneity of this drawing.

kazumiwannabe said...

Nice drawing! I love this book, too, it helped me learn to really look at things!