Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Bill White - Cartoonist Survey #1


I sent out the following questions to some cartoonist that I know and also to some that I don't know. The first one to respond was Bill White so he gets the honor of being posted first. Be sure to check out Bill's site at; http://bwhitecartoons.blogspot.com/ and say hello. Now without further ado here are the questions with Bill's answers.


What is your favorite pen to use?

My favorite pen is the Flair Papermate pen. It doesn't have archival ink, though, so I like to use Microns. The .05 and .08, to be exact.

Do you draw in pencil first and if so do you use a standard pencil or a mechanical one?
Except when doing caricatures "live", ALWAYS pencil first. I like the TOMBO™ 2B. At Building #19, I used the Col-Erase blue pencil. That worked well, too.

Do you do your coloring by hand or on the computer?
By hand, but I must use to learn Photoshop, as that is becoming the industry standard.

If you do your coloring by hand, what do you use?
Chartpak markers.

What type of paper do you use?
The BEST you can get! Strathmore 3-ply is the preferred choice. For quick stuff, index card stock is good.

What thing(s) do you hate to draw?
Any two wheeled vehicle. Bikes, motorcycles and the like.

Do you buy your supplies from big chain art store catalogues/websites or a local one that you physically go to?
Once I find something I like, I can order online, but I like to get the "feel" of something before I buy it.

Are there any rituals that you do before starting to draw?
Prayer.

Do you listen to music while you draw and if so what genre?
No. See the comment Disney Great Milt Kahl said in Richard William's "Animator's Survival Kit". I couldn't agree more!

Did you read comics as a kid and if so what was your favorite?
Of course! The Harvey comics were my favorites, especially when drawn by Warren Kremer (my hero!) and Ernie Colon. I also loved Bark's Ducks, and all the Archie comics. I also loved all the Marvel and DC superheroes. You know what? There wasn't a comic book I didn't like.

What is or was your favorite comic strip?
Lil' Abner. Best. Strip. Ever. No discussion.

What was your favorite book as a child and do you still own a copy of it?
The Cat in the Hat. I have a new copy.

Did you have any formal art training and if so where did you receive it?
I went to the Kubert School, but it didn't feel very "formal".

Do you feel that the Internet is a blessing or a curse?
It's a curse in that it can suck up more of your time than TV, but a blessing in terms of all the information you can access that as a kid I would have killed for.

Did either of your parents draw?
My Dad was a wanna-be cartoonist. He was really good too! He spent a lot of time drawing with me as a kid. I wish I still had some of those drawings...

Who in your life is/was the most supportive of your art?
Everyone in my life has always been really supportive of my cartooning. The only ones that weren't were some of my high school art teachers. "You are so talented, why do you waste your time drawing cartoons/", was a typical comment. One I'm sure a LOT of cartoonists have heard.

Do you keep a sketchbook?
No. I should. I draw all the time, but on loose sheets of copy paper. When enough pile up, I chuck 'em.

Have you ever taught cartooning/drawing and if so did you enjoy the experience?
Yes I have, and I love doing it. You really do learn a lot explaining what you do to others.

Do you feel that talent or passion is more important in drawing?
There is no such thing as talent, as Mat Brown has said. You draw well because you have the passion to do it a lot, and by doing it a lot, you get better.

Do you collect anything and if so what?
Toys! Action figures to be exact. Doctor Who figures are my current obsession, but I have plenty of vintage Star Wars and superhero toys decorating my shelves.

If you were an animated cartoon character who do you think you would be?
I would like to be Bugs Bunny, but I'm afraid I'm Daffy Duck.

Are you a righty or lefty?
Righty. Interestingly, I have noticed that there are a lot of talented artists that are leftys. Must be some right brain/left brain thing.

If you weren't an artist what would you want to do for work?
Something that made me a lot more money than being a freelance cartoonist does!

In one or two sentences describe your drawing area.
Right now, it is in a state of transition, as I fight for space with other members of my family. Ideally, it is a bunch of different desks, all set up for different stages of the drawing process. The work area is also very, very messy.

Do you play any musical instruments?
No. I love to sing, though.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone who wants to pursue drawing as a career what would it be?
As Kyle Baker said, if you want to do it, do it. Don't worry about a back-up plan. Pursue your passion!

Who is your favorite artist?
Warren Kremer


Thanks a lot Bill and check in tomorrow to see the answers from Building #19's own Mat Brown!

If you are a cartoonist or draw and you want to be included in this survey just send me an email( dmp1234@yahoo.com )and I will send you the secret form for you to fill out.

1 comment:

Kathy Prario said...

Awesome idea David, good luck with the replies and hope you get a wealth of info. Keep sketching, will check back tomorrow. Love Kath