Friday, November 27, 2009

Kent Archer - Cartoonist Survey #6


Next up is Kent Archer. Kent is another local artist, who creates some incredible art. His work has been published by Image comics. He is presently teaching a course in comic art at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. Do yourself a favor and check out some of his artwork at http://www.kentarcher.deviantart.com/ . Be sure to go through both pages of his gallery. He is also taking commission requests, so stop by and buy something.

What is your favorite pen to use?
When I'm inking I mostly use rapidograph pens, but if I'm doodling I really like the "Graphic 1" by Pigma Micron. It has a nice bullet tip.

Do you draw in pencil first and if so do you use a standard pencil or a mechanical one?
I definitely draw in pencil first and I usually use both standard and mechanical. I typically use an 2H lead for the standard pencil to get my structure drawing...it allows me to be looser. I then go in and do all the detail with the mechanical pencil...usually an HB lead.

Do you do your coloring by hand or on the computer?
I usually color by hand. If I know I'm going to be making prints of the work, I'll color it with the computer.

If you do your coloring by hand, what do you use?
I use Prismacolor and AD Chartpak markers...mostly. Colored pencil and paint sometimes come into play.

What type of paper do you use?
Bristol board...plate finish. The ink doesn't absorb into the plate finish as much as it does the vellum finish...this helps with keeping the ink looking black rather than grey.

What thing(s) do you hate to draw?
The other eye.

Do you buy your supplies from big chain art store catalogues/websites or a local one that you physically go to?
Both. When I can I like to go into Boston and go to Utrecht or Dick Blick, but sometimes they don't carry the brushes I like. (Raphael 8404)

Are there any rituals that you do before starting to draw?
Other than cleaning off the desk and making sure I have all my supplies in front of me...no

Do you listen to music while you draw and if so what genre?
Yes, usually the radio (101.7 WFNX) Alternative Rock I guess it's called.

Did you read comics as a kid and if so what was your favorite?
I remember one Christmas (I think I was 9) when my parents got me a big variety pack of Marvel comics. For months I had no interest in them, but one Saturday morning I woke up to news that I had to have 4 teeth pulled. Needless to say, I was nervous and mad at my parents for not telling me earlier. So I went to my room and started to read through those comics...I was hooked at that moment. Eventually I started to go to a comic book store in town. Venom Lethal Protector #1 is my favorite book I own.

What is or was your favorite comic strip?
I don't think I ever had a favorite strip. I was never into the funny pages.

What was your favorite book as a child and do you still own a copy of it?
I really liked The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I think a lot of kids fantasize about finding a new corner in their house that leads to a new world.

Did you have any formal art training and if so where did you receive it?
Yes. I went to the School of Visual Arts in NYC.

Do you feel that the Internet is a blessing or a curse?
Hmm...Both.

Did either of your parents draw?
Both, and all of my grandparents.

Who in your life is/was the most supportive of your art?
My parents have always allowed me to pursue art.

Do you keep a sketchbook?
I don't.

Have you ever taught cartooning/drawing and if so did you enjoy the experience?
Yes. I've taught at the North River Arts Society in Marshfield, MA and I'm currently teaching a comic art course for the continuing education department at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.

Do you feel that talent or passion is more important in drawing?
With passion, talent can be learned. Without passion, talent is wasted.

Do you collect anything and if so what?
Action figures.

If you were an animated cartoon character who do you think you would be?
Spiderman

Are you a righty or lefty?
Righty

If you weren't an artist what would you want to do for work?
Probably something with science. Maybe cryptozoology? Or maybe I'd investigate UFO's. Or maybe I'd try to reach the depths of the oceans. I love the unknown.

In one or two sentences describe your drawing area.
My drawing area is a cozy nook in my studio. Everything I need like computer, scanner, printer, lights, reference, and supplies are all within reach.

Do you play any musical instruments?
Piano...a little.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone who wants to pursue drawing as a career what would it be?
Instead of focusing on the starving artist possibility, enjoy not being a 9-5 robot.

Who is your favorite artist?
Probably HR Giger.

Thanks a lot Kent and the fact that he is sporting a Boston Bruins hat in the above picture makes him A-OK in my book!!
Today is a special day at David Wasting Paper. This is the 100th post!

Be sure to check back soon to see more Cartoonist Surveys.

No comments: