Saturday, January 9, 2010

Lyman Dally - Cartoonist Survey #42

Lyman Dally's answers would have been posted a couple of weeks ago, but unfortunately they disappeared into cyberspace and never made their way to me. A special thanks goes out to Lyman who was nice enough to redo them AND he even supplied me with a bio to use. Thanks Lyman!

Lyman Dally, former skinny kid turned competitive bodybuilder who used his experiences to become a leading fitness/bodybuilding illustrator from the early '80's thru' 2007. Created sci-fi adventure series MAX REP in the Age of the Astrotitans which ran in Flex magazine and then Muscular Development magazine for a total of 10 years. Did over 5000 editorial illustrations for Muscular Development. Taught anatomy/life drawing at The Joe Kubert School of Cartoon from 1991-1996, plus lectured comic book anatomy at The Big Apple Cons in Manhattan from 1997-1998. Presently doing surrealistic paintings on the love of wine and an online cartoon about the economy. Websites where you can learn more Lyman Dally and see some of his work: Lymandally.com, Oentourage.com and Livingwithles.com .

What is your favorite pen to use?
I do 99% of my work with a Raphael Kolinsky #2 brush (orange handle). I even do most of the straight linework with this brush (the trick includes holding a ruler on its side).

Do you draw in pencil first and if so do you use a standard pencil or a mechanical one?
I draw in pencil first using a #3H pencil.

Do you do your coloring by hand or on the computer?
Right now all by hand, but I'm slowly learning how to use PhotoShop.

If you do your coloring by hand, what do you use?
Windsor & Newton gouache and watercolors. If I'm airbrushing (yes, old fashioned airbrushing) I use Badger Air Opaque paints (do they still make these?).

What type of paper do you use?
For big jobs I like 4-ply Strathmore (the big sheets). For smaller, simpler stuff I love Strathmore Bristol 300.

What thing(s) do you hate to draw?
Cars and babies!!

Do you buy your supplies from big chain art store catalogues/websites or a local one that you physically go to?
I go to a local Jerry's Artarama.

Are there any rituals that you do before starting to draw?
Coffee in the morning along with reading The New Yorker. I seem to draw better in the early afternoons thru' evening.

Do you listen to music while you draw and if so what genre?
I like spacey techno, 80's New Wave or dark moody stuff. Sometimes Gregorian Chants are fun.

Did you read comics as a kid and if so what was your favorite?
Superman, The Flash and The Incredible Hulk. I preferred strength-based superheroes.

What is or was your favorite comic strip?
I liked "Blondie" when I was young, Peanuts in grade school and The Far Side and Red Meat as an adult.

What was your favorite book as a child and do you still own a copy of it?
No. It was a library book on great escapes. I wish I owned it.

Did you have any formal art training and if so where did you receive it?
I'm a good deal self-taught but I had wonderful experiences at The Joe Kubert School and a fabulous painting class (in '08) at The School of Visual Arts.

Do you feel that the Internet is a blessing or a curse?
BOTH! It's wonderful for research and promoting your work but HORRIBLE for real illustration jobs. If you look online everything is photos and text! No art.

Did either of your parents draw?
Mom was artistic and dad wanted to be.

Who in your life is/was the most supportive of your art?
Both of my parents and their friends.

Do you keep a sketchbook?
Not really, but that is one of my New Year's resolutions.

Have you ever taught cartooning/drawing and if so did you enjoy the experience?
Yes. I taught for 5 years at The Joe Kubert School. I got burnt-out on it near the end.

Do you feel that talent or passion is more important in drawing?
Passion uber allis, but talent is also important. I've met many enthusiastic artists with no talent.

Do you collect anything and if so what?
Wine. I love wine.

If you were an animated cartoon character who do you think you would be?
Conan the Barbarian-but I'm not sure he's ever been animated. Perhaps the most fun on a gender-bending slant would be Eon Flux!

Are you a righty or lefty?
Rightie.

If you weren't an artist what would you want to do for work?
Probably be a fitness trainer. Or a wine salesman...

In one or two sentences describe your drawing area.
Attic studio with money-green slanted walls, track lighting and a lovely window at each end that I can look out of.

Do you play any musical instruments?
No. Absolutely no talent (see question on talent above).

If you could give one piece of advice to someone who wants to pursue drawing as a career what would it be?
PERFECT YOUR CRAFT! Don't show the world your work before you've spent a lot of time and made it as good as possible. Also learn business and legal concerns so you won't get cheated and undermine the art business in the process.

Who is your favorite artist?
Boris Vallejo, Peter Paul Ruebens, Frank Frazetta, Richard Corben and Bernie Wrightson. I know that's not "one".

Below is a painting by Lyman entitled, "Heart of Glass." More of Lyman's work like this is available
here .

Thanks again Lyman.

The next set of answers are from cartoonist John Klossner and with any luck should be posted tomorrow.

No comments: