Friday, January 22, 2010

Rick Geary - Cartoonist Survey #52




Cartoonist, illustrator and writer, Rick Geary had his first cartoons published in his college newspaper at the University of Kansas in Lawrence. In the late seventies he became well known for his work in Heavy Metal and the National Lampoon. His work has also appeared in such publications as MAD, The Los Angeles Times, The Old Farmer’s Almanac, Rolling Stone and The New York Times.

Rick has done work for three of the major comic book giants, DC and Dark Horse and Marvel. One of the comic books he did the artwork and lettering for was Wildcard’s Eisner Comic Industry Award winning Gumby Comics that came out in 2006. He has done many graphic novels including adaptations for the Classics Illustrated series, a nine-volume series called A Treasury of Victorian Murder. The Treasury of Victorian Murder series focuses on criminals of the 19th century including Lizzie Borden, Jack the Ripper and Charles Guiteau. Check out
his website here, and make sure you spend some time perusing the wonderful postcards that you can purchase directly from Rick!

What is your favorite pen to use?
I exclusively use a Rapidograph Pen, generally with a #0 size tip.

Do you draw in pencil first and if so do you use a standard pencil or a mechanical one?
I always do a detailed pencil sketch before inking. Just a standard Ticonderoga H3 pencil.

Do you do your coloring by hand or on the computer?
By hand.

If you do your coloring by hand, what do you use?
Prismacolor Pencils.

What type of paper do you use?
Strathmore 400 series 2-ply Bristol.

What thing(s) do you hate to draw?
Crowd scenes.

Do you buy your supplies from big chain art store catalogues/websites or a local one that you physically go to?
I'd love it if there were a local art supply store where I live. Instead, I order online.

Are there any rituals that you do before starting to draw?
None that I can think of.

Do you listen to music while you draw and if so what genre?
Most of the time I have the television on (Turner Classic Movies or MSNBC), but if I listen to music, it's usually Classical.

Did you read comics as a kid and if so what was your favorite?
Never a big comic fan as a kid, although I enjoyed Carl Barks' Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge stories.

What is or was your favorite comic strip?
As a kid it was Dick Tracy. Nothing now since I don't have access to a daily paper.

What was your favorite book as a child and do you still own a copy of it?
I can't recall having a favorite book.

Did you have any formal art training and if so where did you receive it?
I graduated from the School of Fine Arts at the University of Kansas, but I feel that, as a cartoonist, I'm largely self-taught.

Do you feel that the Internet is a blessing or a curse?
I LOVE the Internet.

Did either of your parents draw?
Nope, neither one of them.

Who in your life is/was the most supportive of your art?
My parents were supportive, but never thought I could make a living at it. I was encouraged more by my contemporaries at school and at work.

Do you keep a sketchbook?
No, I've never been a compulsive doodler.

Have you ever taught cartooning/drawing and if so did you enjoy the experience?
No, I've never been a teacher.

Do you feel that talent or passion is more important in drawing?
Having both is ideal, of course, but if it's to be just one, I'd say Talent.

Do you collect anything and if so what?
For many years I've been an avid collector of postcards. I love images of all kinds.

If you were an animated cartoon character who do you think you would be?
Pinocchio.

Are you a righty or lefty?
Lefty.

If you weren't an artist what would you want to do for work?
Some kind of historical research.

In one or two sentences describe your drawing area.
A four-foot table in a corner of my at-home studio with all of the materials and entertainment I need within arm's reach.

Do you play any musical instruments?
Used to play (badly) the clarinet.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone who wants to pursue drawing as a career what would it be?
Keep at it no matter what.

Who is your favorite artist?

The list would be very long, but I guess my all-time favorite cartoonist is Edward Gorey.


Thanks very much Rick.

Tomorrow's answers are from cartoonist Chris Sabatino who is the creator of the new book "Pocket Doodles for Boys."

No comments: