Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Scott Hilburn - Cartoonist Survey #103



Cartoonist Scott Hilburn was born in Texas in 1971. He received an A.A.S. degree in Computer Animation and Multimedia from the Art Institute of Dallas. He also has a B.A. in Psychology and has worked towards an M.A. in Professional Counseling/Clinical Psychology from Argosy University. Scott worked for a while developing flight simulator programs at FlightSafety. He then worked for MCI where he created award winning interactive media. He has also worked as a flash developer for Fujitsu Networking Communications. He started posting his single panel comic, The Argyle Sweater, on his own website in September of 2006, and was soon showing his work on Comics Sherpa. Just two months later he signed a contract and moved over to GoComics. In February of 2007 he signed a syndication contract with Universal Press Syndication and in April of 2008 The Argyle Sweater made it's first appearance in newspapers across the country. Scott still lives in the Dallas, Texas area and has two daughters. Visit his Argyle Sweater website here and his blog here.(The above picture of Scott was taken from Universal Press Syndicates...I do not claim to have taken the photo nor am I making any money off of it's use.)

What is your favorite pen to use?
I use various size Rotring Rapidograph pens.

Do you draw in pencil first and if so do you use a standard pencil or a mechanical one?
I don't use pencils at all. I draw my roughs using a gel pen.

Do you do your coloring by hand or on the computer?
I colorize on the computer using PhotoShop.

What type of paper do you use?
I use Strathmore Bristol Smooth

What thing(s) do you hate to draw?
I've always hated drawing horses. I usually have to draw them several times before getting a shape I like.

Do you buy your supplies from big chain art store catalogues/websites or a local one that you physically go to?
I purchase my supplies both online and in person. Online I buy from Dick Blick and Mister Art. In person, I purchase from Asel Art supply in Dallas.

Are there any rituals that you do before starting to draw?
None really before working on ideas outside of turning off the TV. When I ink, it's usually late at night so sometimes I drink a 5-hour energy drink to keep me awake.

Do you listen to music while you draw and if so what genre?
Not usually. I rarely listen to music when drawing.

Did you read comics as a kid and if so what was your favorite?
I did read comics as a kid. I can remember reading Beetle Bailey, Hagar and Blondie.

What is or was your favorite comic strip?
Under the age of 10, my favorite comics were probably the ones listed above. By age 13 or older, I became a Far Side fan (obviously).

What was your favorite book as a child and do you still own a copy of it?
My favorite book as a child was probably Green Eggs and Ham or any number of Dr. Seuss books.

Did you have any formal art training and if so where did you receive it?
One of my degrees is in Computer Animation. Although most of my drawing skills were self taught before that.

Do you feel that the Internet is a blessing or a curse?
I think it's a little of both. The Internet has made it possible to reach newer and younger audiences and has given cartoonists (and other creators) the opportunity to grow larger audiences. But at the same time, it doesn't generate the income that newspapers do.

Did either of your parents draw?
Yes, both parents (as well as both grandfathers) were artists on one level or another.

Who in your life is/was the most supportive of your art?
My parents were always pretty supportive. I'm not sure anyone ever really expected me to be able to make a living as a cartoonist though - including myself.

Do you keep a sketchbook?
I used to. I mostly use loose typing paper these days.

Have you ever taught cartooning/drawing and if so did you enjoy the experience?
Can't say that I ever have.

Do you feel that talent or passion is more important in drawing?
I suppose passion. I think most talented people became that way because they had a passion for what they did.

Do you collect anything and if so what?
I don't collect anything really.

Are you a righty or lefty?
Righty.

If you weren't an artist what would you want to do for work?
I've had other careers in my life, but there's nothing else I could ever imagine wanting to do besides cartooning.

In one or two sentences describe your drawing area.
I can do it in one or two words: Total mess.

Do you play any musical instruments?
Guitar Hero is as close it gets for me, unfortunately.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone who wants to pursue drawing as a career what would it be?
Really, this advice applies to anyone and any career: Only do so if you love it. Do it because it's your passion. Do it because you couldn't imagine doing anything else. If you aren't doing it for those reasons, you'd be better off doing something else.

Who is your favorite artist?
In terms of art alone, I don't know if I could pick just one. There are SO many brilliant artists out there.


Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions Scott.

Next time on David Wasting Paper is cartoonist, caricaturist, illustrator and current President of the Australian Cartoonists’ Association, Jules Faber.

No comments: