Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Skip Morrow - Cartoonist Survey #39

Skip Morrow is a cartoonist, greeting card designer, illustrator and entertainer. He is well known for his “I Hate Cats” and “The Joy of Smoking” cartoon compilation books. As a greeting card designer he is contracted to Recycled Paper greetings and has over 1500 designs published. Some of the clients that have used Skip’s illustrations are Coors Brewing Company, CBS, Frito-Lay, IBM and Virgin Atlantic Airways. Prior to 1980, music was Skip’s full time profession. He has been performing professionally, playing guitar, the piano and singing since 1974. He even put out a CD with his wife, Laraine, called Partners, which you can order here. Check out Skip’s website here.

What is your favorite pen to use?
Wacom or Sharpie extra fine.

Do you draw in pencil first and if so do you use a standard pencil or a mechanical one?
Dixon Ticonderoga 2.5 (standard pencil).

Do you do your coloring by hand or on the computer?
Both, but mostly Computer since 2001.

If you do your coloring by hand, what do you use?
Dr Martin's.

What type of paper do you use?
Strathmore Bristol.

What thing(s) do you hate to draw?
The back of anybody's head.

Do you buy your supplies from big chain art store catalogues/websites or a local one that you physically go to?
Mostly off the web and catalogs.

Are there any rituals that you do before starting to draw?
Sharpen several pencils.

Do you listen to music while you draw and if so what genre?
I love music. That's why I can't listen to it when I draw. I find it way too distracting. For some strange reason, I prefer listening to NPR talk shows all day.

Did you read comics as a kid and if so what was your favorite?
No.

What is or was your favorite comic strip?
I've never followed comic strips.

What was your favorite book as a child and do you still own a copy of it?
You know, I honestly can't remember.

Did you have any formal art training and if so where did you receive it?
Yes, started with Photography at Rutgers University. Took one figure drawing course in my senior year and got hooked. I've carried a sketchbook with me ever since.

Do you feel that the Internet is a blessing or a curse?
Yes.

Did either of your parents draw?
No.

Who in your life is/was the most supportive of your art?
Mary Votano. (It's way too long a story.)

Do you keep a sketchbook?
Always.

Have you ever taught cartooning/drawing and if so did you enjoy the experience?
Yes, I often am asked to visit schools talk about what I do.

Do you feel that talent or passion is more important in drawing?
Passion. The talent will follow with enough practice.

Do you collect anything and if so what?
Art books.

Are you a righty or lefty?
Yes.

If you weren't an artist what would you want to do for work?
I honestly don't know.

In one or two sentences describe your drawing area.
Large Glass top light table, big enough to also hold my 30 inch monitor, Wacom tablet
and keyboard.


Do you play any musical instruments?
I play Guitar, Piano, and I sing. I also have been performing professionally for forty years.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone who wants to pursue drawing as a career what would it be?
Find your own voice and refine it.

Who is your favorite artist?
That's the hardest question of all.

Thank you Skip.

The next set of answers will be from underground cartoonist and writer John Holmstrom and will be post #40 of the Cartoonist Surveys.

When I started sending out these questions I never thought I would receive so many responses from these wonderful artists from all over the world. Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my unsolicited emails and also to everyone who has been reading these and enjoying them. OK...thank you to everyone who has been reading these and is NOT enjoying them too.

No comments: