Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Kim Warp - Cartoonist Survey #75!



Kim Warp is a cartoonist living in Virginia with her husband, two daughters and kitties. Originally from Seattle, she grew up studying her parent’s copy of cartoon collections entitled, “Colliers Collects It’s Wits”. Filled with work by such greats as Charles Addams and Whitney Darrow Jr. it was quite the education in cartooning. In 1999 Kim joined the National Cartoonist Society and the very next year won their Gag Cartoon Division Award. Kim’s cartoons regularly appears in The New Yorker and she is also featured in the New Yorker’s compilation books, “Funny Ladies: The New Yorker's Greatest Women Cartoonists” and both volumes of the “New Yorker Rejection Collections”. In addition to the New Yorker her drawings have appeared on Hallmark greeting cards and have been published in numerous publications including, TV Guide, the National Lampoon, Barron’s, Reader’s Digest. See more of Kim's work at her website.

What is your favorite pen to use?
I like to use a Pentel Uniball for roughs, a Pigma Micron 05 for finishes, and lately I’ve been enjoying my Namiki Falcon fountain pen, which has a nice flexible nib.

Do you draw in pencil first and if so do you use a standard pencil or a mechanical one?
I usually draw in pencil first. I use a Pentel Twist-Erase mechanical pencil. I like it because of the cushy grip and the big fat eraser which I use a lot. Plus, I don’t have to stop to sharpen.
Do you do your coloring by hand or on the computer?
I color in PhotoShop.

What type of paper do you use?
I use paper for finishes for less and less. If I’m doing a traditional finish I like Fabriano paper. For roughs I like really smooth paper like Paris Bleedproof or drawing directly on Clearprint gridded vellum.

What thing(s) do you hate to draw?
My first try at everything is usually pretty ugly.

Do you buy your supplies from big chain art store catalogues/websites or a local one that you physically go to?
I use the local stores for what I can but have to order some of my favorite papers and vellums online from Dick Blick.

Are there any rituals that you do before starting to draw?
I like to sit in the sunny spot in the kitchen. So I have to wait for the sun to get there. Once I get to the desk stage, I have to unbury it first.

Do you listen to music while you draw and if so what genre?
Sometimes, mainly the blues and alternative, although an old show tune might sneak in there. Once I get focused I tend not to hear anything so music is just kind of white noise.

Did you read comics as a kid and if so what was your favorite?
I read Archie Comics. In the paper I read Peanuts, Dondi and Family Circus.

What is or was your favorite comic strip?
The Far Side.

What was your favorite book as a child and do you still own a copy of it?
‘Sinbad and Me’ and I can’t find it lately. This is the Kin Platt (who was also a cartoonist) book about a boy and his bulldog, not a story about a sailor.

Did you have any formal art training and if so where did you receive it?
I have a BA in art from Western Washington University, which is in Bellingham, near the Canadian border.

Do you feel that the Internet is a blessing or a curse?
The Internet is great for talking to cartoonists and editors and doing research, but it’s also possible to waste vast amounts of time dinking around.

Did either of your parents draw?
My Dad took some art in school and did mechanical kind of drawings, Mom painted and did lots of arty crafts.

Who in your life is/was the most supportive of your art?
My parents and my husband have all been very supportive of my art.

Do you keep a sketchbook?
No. I usually buy a new sketchbook to entice myself to draw every week and burn through it in a week. I get roughs and bits and pieces I’ll use out of it, not keepers. I would be afraid to draw if I thought I had to do good drawings I had to keep.
Have you ever taught cartooning/drawing and if so did you enjoy the experience?
I haven’t ever done that.

Do you feel that talent or passion is more important in drawing?
I think you need to have enough talent to give you the stick-to-it-ive-ness to keep going.

Do you collect anything and if so what?
Stuffed monkeys, okay? I also have a lot of cartoon books but wouldn’t say I collect them, I just keep buying them.

If you were an animated cartoon character who do you think you would be?
Daffy Duck.

Are you a righty or lefty?
Righty, unless you’re talking about politics.

If you weren't an artist what would you want to do for work?
Something without deadlines, preferably high paid, with minimal hours.

In one or two sentences describe your drawing area.
Well, I have two desks, one has my computer, scanner, Wacom tablet and phone. My drawing desk has cups full of pens, a lightbox and B-movie monster figurines. Both are usually covered with roughs, eraser crumbs and cast off drawings. And a cat or two.

Do you play any musical instruments?
I play a tiny bit of guitar.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone who wants to pursue drawing as a career what would it be?
That the only way to make progress is to draw a lot and let yourself be bad and make mistakes.

Who is your favorite artist?

I like Edward Hopper, Georgia O’Keefe and too many cartoonists to name.

Thank you Kim!

Next up, Sandra Bell-Lundy, creator of the comic strip "Between Friends".

No comments: