Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Sakura Manga-Comic Pro Sketching & Inking Set Review

Julia Reed at Sakura sent me a package filled with various Sakura products to review. I will be breaking down the items she sent into multiple posts. This first review of Sakura products is the Manga-Comic Pro Sketching & Inking Set. The set comes complete with a 0.7 mechanical pencil, six Pigma Microns in different nib sizes (005, 01, 02, 03, 05, 08) and a Pigma Graphic 1. For those who are as geeky as I am, the nib sizes translate as such; 005 = .20mm, 01 = .25mm, 02 = .30mm, 03 = .35mm, 05 = .45mm, 08 = .50mm and the Pigma Graphic 1 = 1.0mm.

(As always, click any of the pictures for a larger view.)



As you can see the set comes packaged in a reusable plastic case, though mine isn’t reusable anymore because I tend to open things “over zealously,” as my wife would say. I tore mine right down the middle. Don’t worry though, the normal human being who doesn’t possess my super-human strength will have no problem opening the package correctly.



Here are the pens loose (probably in search of a new case).



This is a sample of the line widths. The ink is darker than this scanned in photo appears.



Last night while watching the Bruins hockey game, I did some sketching with the Manga-Comic Pro set. The pens glide smoothly on the paper, have nice dark archival ink and don’t bleed much, even though I was using very cheap paper.



The 0.7 mechanical pencil included in the set works well, and the eraser that is on it didn’t leave any smudges.



I sketched out a cartoony version of Grant Wood’s “American Gothic.”



Next I lightly inked it.



I then painted it using my Sakura Koi watercolor set and did some final inking.



I’m already a fan of the Pigma Microns, so it is no surprise that I highly recommend Sakura’s Manga-Comic Pro Sketching & Inking Set. It would make a great addition to the art supply arsenal of anyone who already draws, and would also make an excellent starter set for someone interested in trying their hand at cartooning or sketching. This set would be a perfect gift or stocking stuffer.

Thanks again to Julia at Sakura for sending me these products.


Be sure to check back for future reviews of Sakura products as well as more product reviews of Faber-Castell, Pilot Pens and Strathmore Artist Papers. Of course there will also be more Cartoonist Surveys coming, including the next participant, Keith Knight.

No comments: