Thursday, May 5, 2011

Jorge Pacheco - Cartoonist Survey #223




Born in May of 1964, cartoonist, comic book artist, and illustrator Jorge Pacheco has been drawing since the age of 2. He is a graduate of the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Arts and has been drawing professionally for 25 years. He has worked on some of the most famous characters including Space Ghost, Bullwinkle, Underdog, Johnny Quest, Garfield, Scooby Doo, The Flintstones, Power Puff Girls and Bugs Bunny. His client list contains many of the leading cartoon and comic book publishing companies such as Dark Horse, DC, Hanna Barbera, Cracked magazine, Archie, Warner Brothers and Harvey Entertainment where he worked with my friend Bill White (Cartoonist Survey #1). Jorge has also illustrated many children’s books and was the artist for the syndicated comic strip, CEO DAD. He lives in La Mesa, CA with his wife Sabine and their son J.J. See more of Jorge’s work over at his Pachecotoons website.

What is your favorite pen to use?

I don't use a pen as much as a brush. I use a Winsor Newton series 7 #2. I do use Micron pens for straight lines and some detail work.

Do you draw in pencil first and if so do you use a standard pencil or a mechanical one?

Standard Staedtler Mars HB.

Do you do your coloring by hand or on the computer?

Both. Watercolor, acrylics, dyes, colored pencils, gouache, and whatever is handy. But probably 80% by computer.

What type of paper do you use?

Strathmore Bristol smooth 11x17.

What thing(s) do you hate to draw?

No such thing, but I used to hate drawing cars, but now I'd love to do an illustration a la "Big Daddy Roth."

Do you buy your supplies from big chain art store catalogues/websites or a local one that you physically go to?

Dick Blick's Art Supply Store, both on-line and physically at the store in San Diego.

Are there any rituals that you do before starting to draw?

Yes, I try to entertain my 3 1/2 year old son, so I can find a few minutes to get work done. I'm a work-from-home daddy. I work crazy hours: early, late, weekends.

Do you listen to music while you draw and if so what genre?

I listen to lots of talk radio, but I also listen "New Wave 80's rock" REM, The Smiths are my two favorites, but I enjoy all music, except RAP :(

Did you read comics as a kid and if so what was your favorite?

YES! Quick story on how I got into it: My step-father owned a liquor/convenience store and he brought home damaged comics and magazines. The first comic I read was Jack Kirby's Fin-Fang-Foom comic with Steve Ditko and a Superman comic by Curt Swan also Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella. My favorite was Richard Corben. He's still doing incredible work.

What is or was your favorite comic strip?

That's a hard one. So many genres. I love Prince Valiant by Hal Foster, just beautiful work. Krazy Kat, but modern day, of course, Peanuts. I think Charles Schulz was the greatest cartoonist ever. Jack Kirby for comics.

What was your favorite book as a child and do you still own a copy of it?

Unfortunately, I lost over 3,000 comics in the fire of 2003 in San Diego, but yes, the Jack Kirby Fin-Fang-Foom. Now when I have a few extra $$$s, I buy graphic novels or collections of my past favorites.

Did you have any formal art training and if so where did you receive it?

The Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphics

Do you feel that the Internet is a blessing or a curse?

BLESSING!!! Most of my work I receive is through the Internet. I just did a handful of illustrations for a guy in Singapore, a children's book for a client on the Bahamas, and book illustrations for someone in Australia.

Did either of your parents draw?

YES! My father was Professor of Art at Purdue University before he passed away. I never really knew him, but it's funny that I became an artist. My mother was an Art Minor in college.

Who in your life is/was the most supportive of your art?

Definitely my wife Sabine!! She not only has always been there for me through financial struggles, but she also encourages me to continue my dream of being an artist, and, of course, she has always been my biggest fan. :)

Do you keep a sketchbook?

I've never been a real "sketcher", but I wish I would find time to sketch.

Have you ever taught cartooning/drawing and if so did you enjoy the experience?

Yes. At UCLA - I taught a basic cartooning class and also a couple elementary school classes/kids 6-10 years old, and I really enjoyed it!

Do you feel that talent or passion is more important in drawing?

Passion without a doubt. It can be such a tough road that without the passion I could have never kept it going, but needless to say there has to be talent mixed in.

Do you collect anything and if so what?

I still buy comics/graphic novels when I'm not buying diapers. :)

If you were an animated cartoon character who do you think you would be?

Popeye, but maybe a little Speed Racer also. (Even though I neve speed but I do eat spinach)

Are you a righty or lefty?

Righty

If you weren't an artist what would you want to do for work?

Professional Tennis player.

In one or two sentences describe your drawing area.

We currently live in a small cottage in La Mesa - unfortunately, I have to spread out a bit - my light/drawing table is in the bedroom and my computer/work station/wacom tablet are in the living room. Hoping to "upgrade" soon and have my own studio again.

Do you play any musical instruments?

Wish I did, especially guitar.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone who wants to pursue drawing as a career what would it be?

Never give up!

Who is your favorite artist?

Very tough question: Here is a brief list: Jack Kirby, Chris Bachalo, Hal Foster, Richard Corben, John Romita JR., Charles Schulz, John Buscema, Milton Caniff, Alex Toth, Jaime Hernandez, Jordi Bernet, John Byrne, Thomas Yeates, but there are so many more, but if I have to name one, it would be Vincet Van Gogh, go figure!

Thanks again for your time Jorge!

1 comment:

Bill White said...

YAY!

One of my favorite inkers!