Sunday, November 13, 2011

Faber-Castell PITT Artists Brush Pens Review - Set of 12 Colors

In between surveys, I’m trying to complete reviews on all the amazing complimentary art supplies that I have received from various vendors. This review is part two in the series on Faber-Castell PITT products sent to me by Lisa Brophy. You can read the first review here.

(As always, click any of the pictures for a larger view.)


This is the 12-color set of Faber-Castell PITT Artist Brush Pens. These brush pens are filled with odorless, waterproof, permanent and lightfast India ink. They have durable nibs that give you the ability to get different thickness lines.





They come packaged in a sturdy case. The 12-color set includes; Middle Purple Pink, Pink Carmine, Orange Glaze, Cadmium Yellow, Dark Phthalo Green, Leaf Green, Phthalo Blue, Indanthrene Blue, Purple Violet, Cold Grey, Caput Mortuum and Black. There are a total of 48 colors in the PITT Artist Brush Pen line.



The caps go on with a satisfying click, so they won’t dry out quickly.





A sample of the colors.



Here’s a Marvel character totem pole I drew to color with the brush pens.





As you can see the colors are very vibrant. I usually do my non-digital coloring with either watercolor or colored pencils, but I really like these brush pens and see myself using them a lot. My only complaint and it’s more of a “want to have”, is that this set does not come with a peach or flesh colored pen. I ended up using a colored pencil for a couple of the faces above.

Overall, I feel that the Faber-Castell PITT Artist Brush Pens would make a great addition to anyone’s art supply arsenal. They are fairly priced, easy to use, comfortable in the hand and lay down a lot of color.

Thanks again to Lisa Brody at Faber-Castell for sending me these fine Faber-Castell products to review. Click here to see the entire line of Faber-Castell art and graphic products.

Watch this demonstration on tips and techniques for using the Faber-Castell PITT Artist Brush Pens.



And, check out this video of Chicago artist, Don Colley as he draws from life using Faber-Castell PITT Pens.



Thanks again Lisa for sending out the pens to review!



I also highly recommend the two books I used in the backgrounds for a couple of the above photos. First is Tom Richmond's "The Mad Art of CARICATURE!" It is simply one of the best books I've ever read on caricaturing. You can order your very own signed copy by going to Tom's Deadline Demon Publishing website.


The second book is "Mail Order Mysteries" by Kirk Demarais. Filled with great photos and write-ups about those novelties that were sold in vintage comic book ads. 

Check back soon for more Cartoonist Surveys and art supply reviews including Sakura, Strathmore Artist papers and Pilot.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As an amature cartoonist I have Pitt pens. I like to draw big when I can so the 00-05 pens don't do anything for me. But I'm lousy with brush & ink, so I love brush pens. The problem I have with the Standard Pitt brush pen is I can't get much variation in line weight after using it too much. I do thurn the nib around to get more life out of it. My prefered brush pen is the Tombow ABT N15, then Copic Multiliner SP brush pen, Copic Ciao 100, then the Pitt brush pen. But you've introduced me to the Big Brush, so I'll have to try that. Also i didn't know about using water to blend either. Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for the review.

JJACKLE

David said...

I'm glad that you got something out of the review, JJACKLE.

Anonymous said...

Hi David:

Thanks for this post, and especially for the Marvel totem pole! You may like to see how my 6 year old son tore into it for a first-grade class project. http://www.benac.com/newsitem.php?item=2696. That boy sees opportunity in white space!

Best regards!

David said...

Great job by your son! It's a very good thing that you are doing by getting him into art early.

Unknown said...

What kind of paper would be best to use with the Faber-Castell PITT Artists Brush Pens?

Joe

David said...

Joe, it depends on what type of art work you are looking to do with the Brush Pens. I mostly use them on Strathmore Bristol for cartooning, but I know a lot of people who use them with Borden and Riley Bleedproof Paper for Pens.

Unknown said...

Can we use pitt brush on fabric is it washable

David said...

Hi Tasneem. While they do become waterproof after 20 to 30 minutes drying, I wouldn't recommend using them on fabric. There are pens made specifically for fabric, but since I have not used any, I wouldn't know which ones are any good.